We surveyed 18,000 AP students to see if they still wanted the opportunity to test this year. Their answer: a resounding yes. So we developed secure, online free-response exams for each course. Here's what you should know about the 2020 AP Exam administration.
To be fair to all students, some of whom have lost more instructional time than others, the exam will only include topics and skills most AP teachers and students have already covered in class by early March.
Like many college-level exams, this year's AP Exams are open book/open note. Get tips for taking open book/open note exams.
Students can take exams on any device they have access to—computer, tablet, or smartphone. They'll be able to either type and upload their responses or write responses by hand and submit a photo via their cell phone.
- Exams were administered May 11–22 (primary exam dates) and June 1–5 (makeup dates).
- A small number of students are eligible to take exams in the exception testing window (June 22–30). As with the primary and makeup exams, each subject's exam will be taken on the same day at the same time, worldwide.
Get Ready for Exam Day
Review the 2020 AP Testing Guide for detailed information on how to prepare for your exam, and what to expect on exam day.
Visit Getting Ready for Exam Day to see directions for preparing to take online AP Exams. Go to Course-Specific Exam Information on the exam schedule page to find your course and learn more about your specific exam.
These pages will get you familiar with how the online exams work. Be sure to explore them well before exam day.
- Go to The Exam Day Experience demo for a video of how the online exam will work and an interactive demo that simulates the online exam experience.
- Learn about the new, free AP World Languages Exam App (AP WLEA) and how to use it for taking AP Exams in world languages and cultures.
- See special instructions for taking the AP Music Theory Exam.
- Visit Submission Guidelines to learn the different ways you can submit your responses: attaching a text file; attaching photos; copying and pasting; and attaching an audio file (only for the AP Music Theory Exam).
- Review Troubleshooting Tips for AP 2020 Exams so you can head off technical issues.
Testing accommodations for this year's exams will still be provided for students who have been approved for them by the College Board Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) office. Learn how accommodations will be provided this year.
After Exam Day
Get information about exam scoring, the score release timeline, and why we believe that most colleges will award credit for 2020 scores as they have in the past.
Learn how we're making sure that 2020 exams are secure and fair to all students.